"In helping others, we shall help ourselves, for whatever good we give out completes the circle and comes back to us." (Flora Edwards)

Monday, July 5, 2010

A Caregiver's Right by: Allison Christy Hoover

 "In dealing with those who are undergoing great suffering," the Dali Lama once said, "if you feel burnout setting in—if you feel demoralized and exhausted—it is best, for the sake of everyone, to withdraw and restore yourself. The point is to have a long-term perspective."

As a caregiver, you've likely made the common mistake of forgetting to take care of yourself and not realizing how detrimental this can be to your health and the health of the loved one in your care. Part of taking care of yourself is recognizing that you, as a caregiver, have rights to achieve and enjoy your own health and happiness.

Being aware of these rights and reviewing them in times of need will minimize feelings of caregiver guilt and frustration. Take a look at the list of caregiver rights below, provided by the American Heart Association, and remember that taking time to care for yourself is one of the best things you can do for your loved ones.

CAREGIVER RIGHTS

I have the right to...

Take care of myself. This is not an act of selfishness and will enable me to take better care of my loved one.

Seek help from others even though my loved one may object. I recognize the limits of my own endurance and strength.

Maintain facets of my own life that do not include the person I care for, just as I would if he or she were healthy. I know I do everything I reasonably can for this person, and I have the right to do some things for myself.

Get angry, be depressed and occasionally express other difficult emotions.

Reject any attempt (made consciously or otherwise) by my loved one to manipulate me through guilt, anger or depression.

Receive consideration, affection, forgiveness and acceptance from my loved one for as long as I offer these qualities in return.

Take pride in what I am accomplishing and to applaud the courage it sometimes takes to meet the needs of my loved one.

Protect my individuality and my right to make a life for myself that will sustain me after my loved one no longer needs my full-time help.

Expect and demand that, as new strides are made in finding resources to aid physically and mentally impaired persons, similar strides will be made toward aiding and supporting caregivers.


http://www.caringtoday.com/get-basic-caregiving/a-caregivers-right

No comments:

Post a Comment